Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Cholocycle Perfomance Estimates

Hey!

Batteries are still not here, so I have been doing some math instead.

I set-up some matlab code to give me performance specs of the bike. I started off with the torque curves from hpevs.com.

I am using 85V 650A so I selected the 72V 650A curve as the closest available. This is the peak curve which is useful to estimate the peak performance of the bike (not to be confused with the continuous curve).

From this torque curve (in orange) i made my own "simplified" torque speed curve.

Having the torque characteristics of the motor now I input my specs for the bike (gear ratio, wheel diameter) and I scaled the Torq-RPM graph to a force-mph graph. I also assumed some drag coefficents and some rolling cofficents and plotted a Resistance-mph graph. I then compared them as below.

With this graph I can estimate the steady-state speed of the bike, this is when both curves intersect. This shows about 96 mph top speed! Not bad!

I can also compare the power curves:

Notice that the inserct in the power curve occurs at the same speed as in the torque curves, which suggests consistency in the model. From the power curves I can see what my consumption should be at every speed by looking at the drag power. Black dotted line shows 8kW which is the max rated continuous power of the motor, this says I should be able to cruise around 60mph continuously without overheating (till my batteries run out).

Now that I know my power requirements at every speed I can figure out how much range I have at every speed. This is simply done by dividing the kWh of the pack (5.3kWh) by ( 1.1 * power required to stay at that speed) The factor of 1.1 is there because I'm assuming 90% efficiency of drive train (motor, chain, tire).

This is that graph:

So it looks like 50+ miles for city driving and just under 40 for highways. sounds about right to me!

Lastly I wanted to get a sense of the dynamic model of the bike (everything up to this point is steady state, i.e. no acceleration).

In order to do this I made up a quick simulink model that includes the peak torque speed curve from before and also includes the air drag, rolling resistance and mass of the bike. Here is the simulink model.


With the model now I can estimate my acceleration.


So it looks like 0-60mph in 4 seconds. I'm satisfied!

So here is a summary of the findings:
96mph top speed
0-60mph in 4 seconds
50+ mile in city and <40 highway.="" in="" p="">

This is assuming the following:
AC-20 Motor
Sevcon Gen 4 Size 6, 650Amp Limit
85V nominal pack voltage (A123 prismatic 26s3p)
5.3kWh

For those other e-moto riders out there, does this sound reasonable? Please post your replies to elmoto.net in this thread:


I'm eager to get my batteries and controller and test cholo out!

No comments:

Post a Comment